Here are 6 great motivational maxims we’ve all been told, updated for our time:
- You Are What You Think About Most Of The Time – Consistent action is the secret to becoming great, not just thinking about it. So, you are what you think about and then DO most of the time. Everyone has wishes and dreams, but the world’s “best” are those who have done and continue to do something about those goals on a daily basis.
- Treat Others The Way You Want To Be Treated – Your style, preferences, and expectations may be completely different from someone else’s. So, you must treat others the way they want to be treated. Learn to listen to others, understand them, and build relationships that matter, and you will be much more successful in life.
- Practice Makes Perfect – You may think I am going to enhance this classic to “Perfect practice makes perfect,” but how could you possibly upgrade perfect practice? Instead, your upgrade is “Imperfect practice makes perfect.” Well, if you could do it perfectly in practice you wouldn’t need practice in the first place.
- If You Want To Succeed, Learn How To Manage People– Anyone can manage; few can lead. So, if you want to succeed, you have to lead others and manage yourself. If you can manage your time, health, finances, and family, then you will be put in a position to offer leadership to others who are in search of the skills you already have.
- Work Smarter, Not Harder – Face it. Competition is stiffer than ever. So, if you want a jump on the comp, you have to work smarter AND harder (or at least smarter THEN harder!) Everyone has talent and access to powerful technology now, so it is not enough to just be efficient; you must also work hard to be effective!
- Common Sense Isn’t So Common– Yes, common sense is common, that’s why it’s called common sense! So, your upgrade: Common sense just isn’t so commonly practiced. The main problem is not that most people don’t know the common sense thing to do; it is just that they don’t do it! Again, as in #1, action is the key to execution.